Chophouse Banner (alt type)

Friday, March 09, 2007

Bright Day, Dark Knight

From the "Good Moves" department, comes news that Maggie Gyllenhaal has replaced Katie Holmes in the role of Rachel Dawes in Christopher Nolan's next Batman installment, "The Dark Night." This excites me.

It's not that I particularly have anything against Katie, mind you. In fact, I've been a fan since her WB days, and paid good money to see her bare all in Sam Raimi's "The Gift." Going a step further, at one time, she was even on "my list" (yes, that's exactly what you think it is).

The problem here is TomKat.

TomKat is a distraction. TomKat is toxic. TomKat is fleeting. TomKat ruined her career. Though to be fair, Katie... I'm sorry, "Kate," may have actually jumped the shark with her stint opposite Marc Blucas in the Hirpriffic "First Daughter."

Nolan's casting of Gyllenhaal is brilliant. She's coming off a high on the Porq Meter based on her scrumptious performance as a tattooed, socially responsible baker opposite Will Ferrell in the under-appreciated "Stranger Than Fiction." And Nolan's best work seems to come when working with off-the-beaten-path actors, not A-listers (or their wives).

The Dark Night's shaping up to potentially eclipse what was a magnificent series reboot in "Batman Returns." If they don't jack-up Frank Miller's original story (which I've finally read - thanks to Marneus), this will be one for the ages!

5 comments:

Gregg said...

You've never more dead on than you are about Katie, er Kate. Tom tainted that girl. oddly enough, Maggie looks a lot like her in that pic.

She's on the bubble, could make the list in the near future.

Porqchop said...

Great minds think alike. I thought the same thing about the similarity in that picture (which is why I used it). Considered posting some "intriguing" imagery from "The Secretary," but this is a family blog.. right.

BABarracus said...

You guys are thinking waaaay too much. Either of these women could own the pair of you in about 2 nanoseconds.

Hirp, why the hell do you have a list? Porq, you clearly need to expand yours.

Gregg said...

Why do I have a list? Cause I have standards..sadly your wife doesn't.

Porqchop said...

Hirp - You're overusing the "your wife doesn't have standards" line... that's the third time I've heard it this week.

Bab - You know we're both on your list... and talk like that aint gonna make "it" happen for you.