Chophouse Banner (alt type)

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Resistance Is Futile

So has anyone else noticed the disturbingly "Trek-like" phenomenon of people driving in cars or walking through stores and airports with these annoying little Bluetooth phones semi-permanently attached to their heads? It's like a real life Borg invasion is sweeping the country.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a self-indulgent early adopter, technophyte, gizmo whore, call it what you will. I check slashdot.org and gizmodo.com regularly, and have dreams of silicone gumdrops dancing through my head every night (and sometimes during the day).

But I draw the line at semi-permanently tethering any electronic device to my body (well... aside from the laptop I'm typing on right now that is). I don't wear my cell phone on my belt, strap my iPod to my arm or feel the need to take a drag on a CrackBerry after meals.

I'm wondering when the aforementioned Bluetooth drones of which I speak make their daily break with their synthetic ear ports. They appear to be moving through their lives oblivious to their surroundings, and not giving two shits about how many people they bring in to their inane conversations.

Another new phenomenon I've noticed is men's pants coming with a special cell phone or iPod pocket. Just wait until the technology is optimized to the point that it's small enough to be buried beneath your skin. Of course I don't believe there's any reason to wait for that time. I'm pretty sure if they tried hard enough, the BlueBorgs could surely fit their current device of choice comfortably in between the cheeks of their collective arses .

4 comments:

Gregg said...

Preach brother Porqchop, preach on!

Do they know they look like morons who are talking to themselves? And why do they need their hands free? I can drive, shift, make a new play list on my ipod, and text message with my phone. And these idiots cant just drive and hold a phone? You want your bluetooth, fine. I think the least you can do though is take the rest of the phone and shove it up said arse.

Porqchop said...

You hold the phone... I'll push them on in.

Gregg said...

Who needs a pocket? Just get one of those snazzy leather things to clip it to your belt.

Gregg said...

Those special pockets are for tots anyway