Not entirely surprised about Kansas’ flameout yesterday. Jayhawk fans knew this would be an up and down year, and we certainly got our money’s worth. With regard to being first out: Are we spoiled? Yes. Should we have expected more from this team? Probably. Should we be disappointed with our season? No way in Hell.
The year started off terribly, sinking immediately in Maui and losing half of our games right out of the gate. Mid-season showed the promise of years to come, moving many a fan to believe that “this” might be “the year” (again). Things came full circle Friday night with yet another first round loss, to a seemingly obscure team… just lucky to be there.
Discounting the past two seasons horrific showings, the three years prior to that included a Final Eight run… two Final Four appearances and shot at a title in the NCAA Championship Game. How many schools West of Tobacco Road can say this? For some schools, making the NCAA Tournament at all is a once in a decade event (see K-State and MU as prime examples of this – they refer to them as “tournament” years).
Despite all my smack talk on this site, I’m a fan of the Big 8… uh… Big 12. Once conference play is over, I’ll root for any conference team that’s still playing come postseason tournament time (yes even those of the “feline” persuasion I mentioned above).
I’ve participated in many a heated debate with the alumni from other schools on this subject, and I firmly believe that a win by any conference team strengthens the entire conference. The counterpoint I often hear is that there is no direct correlation between one school winning and another’s success. And that it actually makes it more difficult to recruit a player if there are two schools in a conference competing for the same player. It’s pretty rare for two conference teams to compete for the same player. It’s typically a battle of geography and us fighting with the coasts to persuade players to play in the middle of America.
Then there’s the die-hard “haters.” I have a co-worker who still lives by the Norm Stewart axiom of not spending a dollar in the state of Kansas as some of the tax money goes for state education. This is insane. Then there’s the “beater-lovers,” those folks that are fans of any team that beats the Hawks. Case in point, a K-State fan that wears Bucknell apparel just to taunt KU fans. Funny stuff, but can he name even one player on this or last year’s Bucknell team? Doubtful. If only he spent as much time rooting for his own beloved team.
I’m a proud fan of KU. I attended the University of Kansas. I would expect an alum or fan of any school to cheer for their team and defend them when challenged by a rival. This is what makes college athletics so much fun.
But the reality is… we fans have no skin in the game (unless your last name is Laurie). We don’t lace-up our high tops and strap on a jockstrap. We don’t put in the practice time. We don’t play the game. The onus for a win or a loss isn’t on us. Instead, we sit in the stands or turn the game on two minutes before tip-off. When the team wins, we claim partial ownership as fans and praise the coach and players. Often times, when we lose, we’re the quickest to find blame in the coach or a singular player.
When the game’s over, as fans, we really can’t lose. But just for one moment, try to imagine how the players and coaches must feel at this moment. And try to imagine playing in a tournament where only one team goes home without a loss. Sobering stuff.



16 comments:
Okay, so now I feel a little weird about wearing a jock when I watch the games. Thanks porqchop. That's gonna be 3 more sessions of therapy.
Now let's get serious. I'm not one that believes in the conference loyalty. I can't root for a team I have no connection to other than proximity. For the most part, in NY you are either a Met for or a Yankee fan. And you root for whoever is playing the other team. Normally this is something I believe in. But Back in like 98, the Yankees had a likeable team. Jeter, Bernie, Rivera and a ton of Ex-Mets that I liked. So that was time I could get behind the team (insert porqchop joke)
I know that's not conference or division but its similar. At the same time, I wont ever root for the Braves. Screw them. If they win or not, it doesnt reflect on the Mets or their season at all. I believe in sports, as in life, your actions SHOULD stand on their own merit. After my teams are out of the running, its either see another team you have a connection with, be it family members or friends are alum, or just a team like Wichita St that you want to see go far cause it'd be a blast to watch.
Always back to baseball with you... isn't it? Not the same kettle of fish at all.
And take that jockstrap off your head!
Go Shockers!
I guess I just have a different take on loyalty. It doesnt change no matter the miles, or the years. You say you bleed black and gold, but if you move away from MO, are you saying over time you will no longer bleed black and gold? If thats the case, then you already have one foot out the door. What kind of loyalty is that?
Loyalty isnt a choice. Either you have it, or you dont. Its bigger than sports. It affects all aspects of life.
And theres no logic in cheering for the conference. Did you become attached to a team because of the conf, or did the conf just happen to be where your school plays?
NRJB - Bitter much?
Always. You aren't just picking up on that are you?
It's part of my charm. Or so I think.
Sleep? Who said I sleep?
For starters, porqchop you just got called a fairy. Again. Are you gonna just lay there and take that? Oh wait, yes you are. That's probably how you got that reputation anyway.
And there's no pizza, steak, shockers or Tigers allowed in the bed.
(I didn't say it was my rule)
I said it wasnt my rule. I didn't say I'd object to breaking it. Why dont you help with that.
Liar... I know of one Tiger you'd allow in the bed...
I didnt say I wouldnt allow it. Just that it wasnt allowed. I'm all for breaking some rules.
Ah... it's all about the semantics... isn't it.
Nothing makes em purr like a Jayhawks pecker, I mean beak
Post a Comment