Chophouse Banner (alt type)

Monday, July 31, 2006

World Of WakeWrath

So a few of you out there may know that I've started playing this moderately addictive MMOG ("massive multiplayer online game") called World Of Warcraft. I've enjoyed it quite a bit, but honestly haven't had nearly as much time to dedicate to playing as some of my Bad Beats brethren (I think Dakota's probably logged well over 2,000 hours by now...).

Almost as amazing as the open architecture of this game, is the immersive level of gameplay, and how it's had such an impact on a great number of its 5,000,000 players. Case in point, the above clip.

Apparently, one of the larger guilds (a group of players that form a party to quest, go on raids and drink grog together - I'm a member of Nihilistic Intentions) had a player die IRL ("in real life"). As a memorial and show of solidarity, the members of the guild decided to host an online wake. When members of a warring faction got wind of this, they decided to stage a raid. Mayhem ensued. The comments in the introduction of the video pretty well summarize the bad blood this created between two groups that previously had no connection in the real world. This is serious stuff.

I've heard stories of players leaving their spouses for people they met in the game, people losing their jobs, getting kicked out of school, becoming sexually inadequate (don't say it Hirp) and rumors of sweat shops overseas cranking out players and in-game money that brings in big bucks on eBay.

Then there's Leeroy Jenkins. An average Joe who's become immortalized as a barnstorming, premature eradicator within the WoW (World Of Warcraft) sect. In WoW, he's a god.

What would Chuck Klosterman say about this?

3 comments:

Gregg said...

I'm pretty sure he'd do a line or two and join you.

Porqchop said...

Can you believe he doesn't have a Web site/blog... the nerve!

Gregg said...

Im grateful he doesnt. I barely get any work done as it is.