Chophouse Banner (alt type)

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Stand Down

I'm really not going to waste a terrible amount of effort describing this one. I just wanted to put out a word of warning to stay away. I didn't think it would be possible to put out a more horrifically acted, poorly executed, trite, piece of cinematic shit this year than The Happening. Kudos to all those involved with the production of The Day The Earth Stood Still for at least accomplishing this historic achievement.

Klatu, Gort and all the trimmings are here, but this soulless remake should never have come to be. The magic and freshness of the original is completely missing. The message feels dated, and has been delivered a thousand times more impactfully since the 1950s original first teed-up the issues rehashed in this film.

One reviewer was quoted as calling this "an inconvenient spoof." I couldn't agree more.

No comments: