In follow-up to my earlier post, here's my list of things I could have done without in 2008. I'm hoping these can soon be placed in the "anomaly" file, never to be seen, heard or smelled again. No particular order. All of are worthy of dubious honor. Enjoy. (and feel free to share your own lists via the Comments section)
1. The Happening, M. Night Shymalan - I always feel good about not having seen any one year's Golden Turkey winner, but I fear I'm going to be a loser on this one. Not only was this a horrifically acted, poorly scripted, trite, environmentalist agenda piece-of-shit of a movie... it was also poorly made (which I cannot respect). Boom mics coming down into scenes, poor sound quality, null and void of effects. If you're going to make an absolute piece of pooh, be resolute in your commitment to it.
2. Politics - McCain chose to become a man he had never been before. Palin was brought in from left field before being taught how to stand at the plate. Biden will forever be a gameshow host. Obama is the man you want to believe in, but you're still not sure why. Another year of few sure choice, but at least we were given a reason to hope. Then comes Blagojevich.
3. Kelvin Sampson - Fool me once... I still don't agree with the rule that the school and athletes left in the wake should be culpable. Sampson should be banned from college basketball. Such a great coach. Too bad he couldn't play by the rules.
4. Katy Perry - We really could care less that you've kissed a girl. And wasn't this whole concept exploited by a better singer back in the 90s. Your 15 minutes called, and said you've run 90 minutes over. Next.
5. Lindsay Lohan - Go kiss Katy Perry already.
6. The Economy - We're all guilty. We've all been irresponsible. And now we're all paying the price. The only problem is... some are getting a lil' help, while others have to find their own way. How 'bout a big "fuck you" for the oil, automobile and home lending businesses for putting the economy on its ear. Anticipating having to revisit this particular listing at the end of 2009.
7. Being Sick - I'm rounding out the year with a 10-year-cold (my equivalent for the 100-year flood or 50-year economy). Can't remember the last time I've hacked-up so much green crud. And it all started with an innocent case of pink-eye...
8. Rude People - They're going to be around every year, but this year was especially chock-full-of assholes. To think that I almost had to throw down with a guy at the Police concert in front of his 6-year-old (he started it, but I - the "worthless fat fuck"- was prepared to finish it). I still don't know where the midwest gets this reputation for having such nice, laid-back people. Johnson County has to have the highest asshole-per-capita rating in the country.
You may wonder why "unemployment" wasn't on the list. That's because under the circumstances, it wasn't a bad career move for me (like I had a choice). I ended up with a better job, and learned a lot about myself during the search process. If it happens again soon, I'm screwed, but this stint in the unemployment line served my career and family well.
So that's it. Despite closing out the year on a negative note, I hope this post finds you and yours' happy, healthy and starting the new year right.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
By the way, why haven't I heard the story about your near fight at the Police concert.
Post a Comment