Chophouse Banner (alt type)

Friday, December 22, 2006

Bad Beats: Holiday Road Trip

Just got back from the ArghOsy where Holy Mohly, Skrawg and I spent the afternoon with a lil' buffet and no fold 'em hold 'em to tide us over while we're on hiatus from league play.

I didn't get to play at the same table as Mohly and Skrawg for the first 90 minutes, so you'll have to look for an update from them via the Comments section below. It appeared that they were having a pretty good time at their table. They ended up getting seated next to one another. Nice road game.

It was a pretty typical crowd for the KC poker room scene, in fact, one of the bull dyke's... I'm sorry, "ladies..." at my table, was playing when we were last out there the Wednesday before Turkey Day. Outside of that, the table I started at consist of two geriatrics, two cowboys, three sweatsuit and gold chain wearing players of Latin American descent, a gang banger and a couple of frat boys. Good times.

The board was dropping crazy shit all day, but it didn't seem like the folks pulling back pots were matching any of the monster cards on the deck. I won a $50 pot with K-7 suited when I flopped a K, then hit a 7 on the river. Two pair winning in no Fold 'em? You've gotta be kidding me. I lived off my middling pot-pull for a good hour, then it was time to take Mohly's seat next to Skrawg, as the Holy one was finished for the day around 3:15 or so.

I continued to get chewed up, not matching anything on the flop, but Skrawg was taking a different track. He was pretty much the table captain up until the point that an older guy sat down and our table and they started gong toe-to-toe. It was classic Skrawg. Raising. Slow playing. Dragging back huge pots. No one could put him on a hand, but they all pretty much expected him to raise it up when the action came his way.

I was down to my last $15 when I looked down at pocket Js. Triple up. Couple hands later I saw A-9 for what had to have been at least the tenth time. I called a pre-flop raise to six, then watched an Ace hit on the Flop. My kicker wasn't great, so I checked it, with checks all around behind me (the board was two other low cards - perhaps 2-3 rainbow). The Turn comes, it's another Ace. I bet $6 this time. Calls all around. Then the River. It's another Ace. Quads. Pay day. Skrawg bets $6 into me, I raise (all others fold), Skrawg calls. He Figures me for a pocket pair, I think he matched one of the low cards on deck for the small boat.

As I'm pulling back my pot, the other table captain, Skrawg's nemesis, proceeds to "remind" me that if there were an K/Q/J on the board, I should lay my quads down to ensure I don't jack-up the Bad Beat pot. To be honest, I hadn't even considered that this might be in play since the board was weak, and no one was betting into me. It was my understanding that you had to have a pair to the quads in your hand, so I didn't think the Bad Beat pot was even in play. In theory, if two other players had high pocket paint - we could have been paid (a high-card Aces full boat would have lost to another - it doesn't have to be quads). But everyone was betting weak. And I'm not ever laying down quads. Interesting to think about though.

All-in-all, a nice day at the boats. Mohly and I crapped out, but Skrawg' cashed in for about $450. An extremely nice pull for a low-limit game.

Hope to see you all at the 69ers game!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i wasn't doing too bad until i lost over $70 to skrawg. skrawg had won the previous two pots, so it was a kill pot. i was dealt pocket K's - nice hand to have on a kill pot -- so i raised to $12 pre-flop and 4-5 other guys called. flop comes Q-10-4. It checked around to shrawg and he bet $6 and i raised to $12 (2 people called). the turn is an 8. i bet $12, shrawg raises it, and i re-raise it. the river is a 9. the 9 and an Ace were the only cards i didn't want to see. shrawg turned his cards (A-J) over in disgust, thinking he had lost the pot. the other people on the table called out a straight. needless to say, i got sucked out on... and lost 70% of my stack. without that beat, i prob would have walked away even. damn you shrawg :)