Hasn't been quite true of late, has it? (unless you count my Twitter feed, below)
My apologies for the extended hiatus, but I haven't had much to write about lately. I thought when I was laid off, that I would have a ton of free time to write, and many "man of leisure" type adventures to gloat about. Well, I was wrong.
It turns out that having a cloud of unemployment hanging over your head, even while suckling the teet of a generous severance package, can put a damper on most any day.
I haven't really had a memorable day since my last day at work. Most days I just stay at home, surfing the Web and working on miscellaneous projects. It's the ultimate time suck.
Outside of the occasional lunch with Hirp, The Shill or Mad Hattress, my noon hour diet consists of bologna or a Totino's pizza. Yeah, this is the life.
Don't get me wrong, staying home is definitely better than working in the passive aggressive, mind-fuck-fest that I was previously a part of, but without security, free-time doesn't feel all that free.
Things I like best about my current situation:
- Flexibility to deal with kids transition to day-care
- Not having to wash socks (I wear flip flops most every day)
- Cutting our gas consumption by 75%
- Not having to give the corporate "hello" anymore
- Being able to mow the lawn on weekdays
- Finally spending some quality time in the man cave
- Majority of bathroom usage is now at home
- Ability to go to the gym whenever I want
- Don't have to drive into Misery every day
- Friday afternoon movies
- PokerStars.net
- I'm nobody's bitch (well, aside from my wife that is)
Things that kinda suck:
- Lack of intellectual stimulation
- Constant feeling of not using time wisely
- Much lower level of interaction with friends
- Having to wait FOREVER for the job pipeline to start moving
- Too much pervasive news on the shitty economy/job market
- Every time I leave the house, I spend money we could be saving
- I'm not entirely sure what I want to do with my career
- 401k is stagnant
- The stigma of being unemployed
- Having to deal with Missouri unemployment office
Yeah. I need to find a job. But I also need to start writing a lot more to stay fresh. Look for this and other outlets to provide a source.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Glad to see you back. Funny thing - you're list of being unemployed sounds an awful lot like my list of working from home. Minus the unemployment part.
We. Need. A. Project.
WOW. I'm shocked that I still have readers! Marneus, I'm game for a project (and have capacity). Let's do lunch. Rog, congratufrickinlations on the engagement!
Hey I am always up for lunch any time. Can you fit me into your busy schedule?
Post a Comment