Chophouse Banner (alt type)

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

You Decide

Not that it's completely out of line for one of our typical conversations, but my wife pointed out to me this morning precisely how "wrong" I am. I'm not talking about wrong as in factually wrong, I'm referring to type of "wrong" that connotes being out of line, being obscure, being fowl (as in intestinally), or doing something that's morally corrupt.

Shocking as it may seem, in this instance, I had to disagree with her.

The issue arose when I was having an innocent conversation with my son. To set the proper context, at his age (and my age to a certain degree) a conversation entails him making a sound, and me mimicking the sound back to him. It's a timeless game played between parent and child across the world, and the basis for learning good communication skills. Dad's just trying to give the poor boy a leg-up, right?

The sound in question this morning was along the lines of a "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" (purse you lips, blow air, and flap them at length - and no, not those lips, ladies). It's similar to the sound a horse makes when it expells air. Totally innocent.

To be fair, the "issue" arose when I took the line of dialogue a step further and commented that he was a "motorboating son-of-a-gun." This is when the wife took exception to my remark. (I'm not going to comment on the source of this quote - as loyal readers, I would expect you to know this)

I'm pretty sure she felt like I was teaching the boy something inappropriate and/or fowl, but as he is his father's son, I have a duty to begin to imbue him with some of my vast knowledge of popular culture.

What do you all think? Is the Chop out of line, or doing his duty as a dad to ensure his kid doesn't end up eating too much paste (like uncle Hirp likely did) in kindergarten?

Share you thoughts via the Comment button below.

2 comments:

Gregg said...

You are a foul sonuvabitch. How can you teach the young boy such horrible things?

Really? You gotta start him off on Swingers, not Wedding Crashers. You're going to totally mess up his appreciating for Vince Vaughn.

You are, without question, in the wrong.

ps-in your defence, it's not like you told him about the game "just the tip, just for a second, to see how it feels"

Anonymous said...

you are foul.

But I would compare this to any animated kids movie you go to. They are made for the kids but with adult humor. You were just injecting some adult humor into a kids game. Well Played.
"You are so fkn money and you don't even know it"